From Graeme Cleak’s route history notes until 1990:
ROUTE 461 NIDDRIE – AIRPORT WEST
Route 145A began late in 1960 as Essendon Airport – Airport West by Progress Bus Lines, connecting off the tram service. By October 1962 it had passed to Barnes Bus Lines. In the next year it had been altered to Niddrie – Airport West, and the operator was K. Cummingham. In 1964 it was run by Hicks, who traded as Airport West Bus Service.
Early in 1967 it further changed hands, this time to Western Consolidated, followed by a short-lived extension to Tullamarine Jetport (Melbourne Airport) in June 1970. Renumbered Route 461 in 1971.
The run was again sold on 31/5/1971 to E & L Pincini and yet again to Devesons Bus & Coach Service on 26/4/1973.
April 1976 saw the run amalgamated into 463 to form Essendon – Niddrie – Airport West (Westfield Shops). Devesons later sold to Kastoria Bus Lines (Spyrou) on 26/10/1978, the eighth operator to operate the local Airport West service in under 20 years.
ROUTE 463 ESSENDON – NIDDRIE – AIRPORT WEST
This was an original route of 1925, Route 16A Essendon – Braemar. In February 1937 the operator was T. Lee. Later on it was Essendon – Nimmo St, operated by R. Thompson who sold the run to F. Deveson in March 1952. An extension to Hoffmans Rd was made in January 1962. Renumbered Route 463 in 1971.
In April 1976 it was linked with Route 461 to form Essendon – Niddrie – Airport West. Sold out to Kastoria Bus Lines (Spyrou) on 26/10/1979.