Bedford SB3 Comair new to Hi-Way in 3/1962 as their #6, HNA 641 (Bruce Tilley)
From Graeme Cleak’s route history notes until 1990:
ROUTE 429 YARRAVILLE – ALTONA EAST
This run began on 16/3/1944 as Route 105A, the owner was G. Palmer and it was went as far as Stephenson Ave. Blackshaws Rd was reached in June 1945, whilst by March 1948 it had passed to T. Sherry. In September 1955 Hi-Way Busways took over, possibly still under Sherry. By 1967 T. & P. Middleditch had taken over Hi-Way Busways.
The route became Route 429 in 1971, going to C. Nidis in 1974, then to Sita Bus Lines in 1979. By the 1980s the terminus changed from South Kingsville to Altona East.
At the Yarraville bus terminal in January 1967, Hi-Way HXR 257 awaits departure. A 1963 Bedford VAS1 with Piper body, part of an all Bedford four bus fleet in the late 1960s. (Geoff Mann)
This 1969 shot shows a Hi-Way Busways a Piper bodied Bedford VAS new 11/1964 and reg JCV 475. Behind it, is McConnell’s Bus Lines Cheetham & Borwick Bedford SB3 new 3/1965 reg JES 941. (Graeme Turnbull)
Hi-Way #9, HRX 257 (Bedford VAS1, Piper) is pictured outside the then depot at 322 Williamstown Rd Yarraville (Bruce Tilley)