Melbourne Private
Bus Routes
1971 to 1990:
800 – 903

Complied by Graeme Cleak
Updated by Craig Halsall and Tony Willman

Moments after arriving back to the Oakleigh sub-depot, Grenda’s #99 (Leyland Panther, Denning) (Bruce Tilley)

The early history of Motor Omnibus Routes in Melbourne is somewhat cloudy, but it appears that Returned Servicemen from World War I (1914 – 1918), who had gained knowledge of ‘heavy’ motor vehicles, seized upon the opportunity to develop this new form of public transport. As there was no provision in the then legislation for motorbuses, promoters merely ran where and where they wished, often in competition with the cable and electric tramway systems.

The Motor Omnibus Act 1924 was to regulate this form of transport, with licensing covering vehicles seating eight or more pasengers. Routes that passed within a radius of three miles of the Melbourne GPO were numbered in a series beginning at No. 1. Routes outside this radius, but within 8 miles of the Melbourne GPO, started at 1A. On 28/1/1925 Routes 1 to 13 and 1A to 36A came into being.

Responsibility for the administration was placed with the Melbourne City Council and the Public Works Dept. through the “Motor Omnibus Advisory Committee.” The MOAC particularly set the levels for service and determined the routes to be followed.

In March 1928 licensing of Country Routes began, this incorporated the growing number of services beyond an eight mile radius of Melbourne. The Transport Regulation Board (TRB) was created in 1933 and took responsibility for these Country Services.

Grenda’s #68 (Volvo B10M Mk2, Volgren)
seen on Route 800 at Chadstone in 1987 (Peter Kane)

The role of TRB was widened from 1/7/1953 to take over the Metropolitan Routes, then later during the mid 1950s, Outer Suburban Routes were replaced into a further series beginning at 200A.

A complete renumbering of Metropolitan Bus Routes occurred in 1971, initially based on geographical considerations:

  • 200 to 299: Government Bus Routes in Melbourne’s inner west and north-east
  • 300 to 399: Government Bus Routes in Melbourne’s outer east
  • 400 to 499: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s west and north-west
  • 500 to 599: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s north and north-east
  • 600 to 699: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s east and south-east bayside suburbs
  • 700 to 799: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s east and outer south-east bayside suburbs
  • 800 to 899: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s south-east
  • 900 to 903: Victorian Railways Bus Routes

Grenda’s acquired two Leyland Pather Cubs from the UK in 1974. #31 (Leyland Panther Cub, Marshall) arrived after just 7 years service in Oldham (ex #117). (Bruce Tilley)

Routes across the east and south-east were somewhat divided up by operator (e.g. 700-series for Ventura & 800-series for Grenda’s) – at several major hubs including Chadstone Shopping Centre, Oakleigh, Box Hill, Glen Waverley, Knox City, Mentone and Frankston it was common for route numbers across two or three different series to meet.

On 1/7/1983 all control of Metropolitan Routes passed to the Metropolitan Transit Authority (Tram and Bus division) with vehicle licensing being performed by the Road Traffic Authority.

Then on 1/7/1989 the Public Transport Corporation was formed with the merger of the Metropolitan Transit Authority and State Transit Authority.

The below list documents the route numbers in use from 1971 to 1990, with reference to their history as far back as 1925 under the former route number systems. During 1991 the ALP state government, led by Joan Kirner, undertook a program of widespread rationalisation of the bus network, including the renumbering and through-routing of numerous services across the south-eastern suburbs.

Grenda’s #66 (?) (Bedford SB5, Comair) in Oakleigh (31/7/1980) (Jack Wayman)

Over time the society intends to present more detailed route summaries for each route from 1971 onwards in a dedicated section of our virtual museum, continuing the story with the countless changes over the past 25 years, from the 1991 cuts onwards. Unlike the abridged versions below, we plan to explore the evolution of service levels where such information is available.

 

You should find the Melbourne Metropolitan Public Transport Maps from our archives are a great resource to help work out the paths taken by the routes below.

 

ROUTE 800 CHADSTONE – OAKLEIGH – DANDENONG via Princes Hwy

Grenda’s #11 (Volvo B58-61, Domino Hedges) at Dandenong on a weekend 800 service (29/11/1980) (Jack Wayman)

A service from Oakleigh to Dandenong commenced at an unknown date and in October 1945 was sold from O. Shave to G. Grenda. During the 1950’s it was given the route no. 221A.
When Chadstone Shopping Centre opened on 4/10/1960 a service was tried from Chadstone to Dandenong direct via Princes Highway, but from January 1961 it was incorporated into a Chadstone – Oakleigh – Dandenong route.

Renumbered 800 in 1971.

ROUTE 801 OAKLEIGH – DANDENONG via Princes Hwy

With the 1971 renumbering, local trips operating between Oakleigh and Dandenong (via 800) were given number 801. By 1979 the number was discontinued with all journeys shown as 800.

ROUTE 802 CHADSTONE – MULGRAVE – DANDENONG

Seen outside Oakleigh station in February 1982, complete with timetable board, is Grenda’s B.S. third Volgren route bus, #27, a 1981 Volvo B58. (Geoff Foster)

Country route 61 operated from Oakleigh to Ferntree Gully via Wellington Rd from May 1928, closing at an unknown date. The route was re-opened in July 1946 by Grenda and in July 1949 included trips to Heany Park. In April 1954 it was cut back to Jells Rd, Mulgrave and was later given the route no. 220A.

In 1961 the route ran via Huntingdale Station and was only a couple of trips per day. A regular service began in May 1965 a Chadstone – Oakleigh – Valewood. It became 802 in the 1971 renumbering, when the terminus was described as Mulgrave, after it had been extended east to Brandon Park Dr.

On 21/1/1980 it was extended through to Dandenong, incorporating the 846 Dandenong – Lyndale via Cleeland St. A sister 804 service serving Wheelers Hill was introduced at the same time, while a third variant, 862, was added to the corridor on 7/12/1987, travelling via Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre, Outlook Dr, Stud Rd & Ross St

ROUTE 803 OAKLEIGH – MULGRAVE

With the 1971 renumbering, local trips between Oakleigh and Mulgrave (via 802) were designated as 803. The number was abolished on 21/1/1980 when 802 was extended to Dandenong.

ROUTE 804 CHADSTONE – MULGRAVE – DANDENONG via Wheelers Hill

Departing Oakleigh for Chadstone on Route 804 in 1990, Grenda’s #24 (Volvo B58-61, Domino Hedges) (Peter Kane)

Began by Grenda’s B.S. on 21/1/1980 as a slight deviation to the 802 through Wheelers Hill. As per 802, it incorporated 846 Dandenong – Lyndale via Cleeland St. A third variant, 862, was added to the corridor on 7/12/1987, travelling via Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre, Outlook Dr, Stud Rd & Ross St.

ROUTE 808 SPRINGVALE – SOUTHLAND via Kingston Rd

Started in 1968 by Grenda’s B.S. with the opening of Southland Shopping Centre, it was designated 808 in 1971.

A peak deviation to Dingley Village from 7/12/1987 incorporated the former 809 service. This branch was supplemented from 18/7/1988 by Quinces 705 peak hour service between Springvale and Mordialloc via Dingley Village and Braeside.

ROUTE 809 SPRINGVALE – DINGLEY VILLAGE

Dates from 1965 when route 207A was started by Grenda. It was extended for a short period that year to Westall. Renumbered 809 in 1971.

An extension of the 654 Southland B.S. service to Clayton South from 9/6/1987 duplicated the route along Heatherton Rd. 809 closed on 4/12/1987, with the trips incorporated into 808, travelling to Springvale via Donald St & Regent Ave.

From 18/7/1988 Quinces’ 705 (Springvale – Mordialloc) provided a more regular peak hour link between Springvale and Dingley Village.

ROUTE 810 SPRINGVALE – NOBLE PARK

This route was recorded in November 1954 as being operated by O. Bridges and was later renumbered 212A. It was sold to Grenda’s B.S. in the early 1960’s, and became 810 in 1971. It was withdrawn on 16/4/1973, being mostly absorbed by the 813.

ROUTE 811 DANDENONG – SPRINGVALE – SOUTHLAND

First recorded as a service from Mentone to Keysborough, which in December 1946 was operated by O. Bridges. By July 1952, Bridges also ran from Springvale to Keysborough. Later in the 1950s, number 221A was given to the service, which was Springvale – Mentone – Mordialloc. Another Bridges service ran from Springvale to Heatherton Rd, which became 213A, and by 1961 had been extended to Dandenong.

Grenda’s took over both 211A and 213A in the early 1960’s and by this time 211A was Mentone – Springvale – Springvale North and 213A was Springvale – Dandenong via Heatherton Rd.

In 1970 both routes were basically combined to become 211A Dandenong – Springvale – Mentone, before being extended to Southland later in 1970. At this time, a basic half hour service ran from Southland to Warren Rd, Mordialloc East, with occasional trips extending beyond to Keysborough, Springvale and Dandenong. The 1971 renumbering separated the routes with 811 becoming Dandenong – Springvale via Heatherton Rd, 812 Springvale – Mentone – Southland, and 813 Springvale – Mentone.

Rationalisation of the numbers occurred as part of network changes in 16/4/1973, when 811 became Dandenong – Springvale – Southland, with all trips now running the full length. 812 became a variant of the extended 811 travelling to Dandenong via Dingley Village and Keysborough, along with Parkmore Shopping Centre.

On 23/3/1981 888 was introduced along Springvale Rd between Nunawading and Edithvale running parallel to 811 from Springvale to Cheltenham Rd, Keysborough, and later (7/12/1987) it was joined by the 889 variant via Chelsea Heights. Full history and operator details under 888 and 889. Quinces 705 (Springvale – Mordialloc) later paralleled the 811 between Springvale and Rowans Rd, Springvale South from 18/7/1988.

Saturday afternoon services on 811 introduced from 7/12/1987 travelled via the 812 path through Dingley Village, along Centre Dandenong Rd & Howard Rd.

Departing Dandenong for Mentone in 1989, Grenda’s #80 (Bedford VAM70, Comair) (Peter Kane)

ROUTE 812 DANDENONG – PARKMORE – SOUTHLAND

Under the 1971 numbering, Grenda’s 211A Dandenong – Springvale – Southland service was split into 811 Dandenong – Springvale, 812 Springvale – Southland and 813 Springvale – Mentone just a year after combining with the 213A service (see full history of 211A under 811).

With network changes introduced on 16/4/1973, the 811 again reverted to the through-route operating Dandenong – Springvale – Southland. 812 became a variant of the extended 811, following the same route from Southland to Braeside before branching to serve the 1970s estates in Dingley Village and Keysborough, along with Parkmore Shopping Centre. Routes 812, 813 and 815 combine to offer a 20 min corridor between Chandler Rd, Keysborough and Dandenong Station via Yarraman Station.

Saturday afternoon services on 811 introduced from 7/12/1987 travelled via the 812 path through Dingley Village, along Centre Dandenong Rd & Howard Rd.

Grenda’s #124 (Volvo B10ML, Fuji) on Como Pde West opposite Mentone Grammar, still wearing its livery as imported after the 1984 World Expo 1984 in Tsukaba, Japan. (21/12/1987) (Hayden Ramsdale)

ROUTE 813 (1ST) SPRINGVALE – MENTONE

A shortworking of Grenda’s 812 service under the 1971 renumbering, discontinued from 16/4/1973.

ROUTE 813 (2ND) SPRINGVALE – PARKMORE – DANDENONG

Started by Grenda’s on 16/4/1973, incorporating most of the former route 810. Routes 812, 813 and 815 combine to offer a 20 min corridor between Chandler Rd, Keysborough, Yarraman Station and Dandenong Station.

ROUTE 814 MENTONE – MORDIALLOC via Como Pde West

Is noted in July 1947 as Mentone – Dixon St, run by O. Bridges, and was extended to Parkdale in 1948, then to George St in January 1950 and finally to Mordailloc in October 1950. Allocated route no. 214A in the 1950s.

214A was sold to Grenda’s in the early 1960s, along with 211A and 213A, and use of the separate number was eventually dropped. However in 1971 renumbering, it was allocated 814. Closed on 16/4/1973, having only 2 – 3 trips per day for some years before.

Other routes operating from Mentone to Mordialloc included Ventura’s 700 (formerly 208A) & 705 along Beach Rd, and Mentone Bus Lines then Blue & Silver’s 204A through Mordialloc East, which later became 649.

ROUTE 815 DANDENONG – PARKMORE – NOBLE PARK

Commenced by Grenda’s on 16/4/1973. Routes 812, 813 and 815 combine to offer a 20 min corridor between Chandler Rd, Keysborough and Dandenong Station via Yarraman Station.

ROUTE 818 SPRINGVALE – GLEN WAVERLEY

Knibbs Bus Service began a run from Glen Waverley – Springvale – Dandenong in January 1952, which in 1954 was being operated by O. Bridges, but the Springvale – Glen Waverley section ceased in 1957.

The route re-opened in May 1965 as 272A by Grenda’s Bus Service. In the 1971 renumbering it became 818 but closed on 21/3/1981, being replaced by the 888 Nunawading – Edithvale cross-suburban route along Springvale Rd.

ROUTE 819 SPRINGVALE – VALEWOOD

A service between Springvale and Police Rd had been introduced in April 1958 by O. Bridges as part of 211A (see 811). In the early 1960’s was sold to Grenda’s, and in 1965 was allocated 271A, and altered to run to Valewood. Renumbered 819 in 1971.

ROUTE 820 SPRINGVALE – HANSWORTH ST, MULGRAVE

Commenced on 19/2/1973 by Grenda’s B.S.

ROUTE 821 DANDENONG – OAKWOOD PARK – SPRINGVALE

Commenced on 7/2/1977 by Grenda’s B.S. The timetable is off-set with 848 Dandenong – North Dandenong, which was extended to Brandon Park on 7/12/1987.

ROUTE 822 NOBLE PARK – CORRIGAN RD

Commenced in April 1969 by Grenda’s B.S. as 273A and renumbered 822 in 1971. It was closed on 16/4/1973 when rationalisation of Parkmore area routes 811, 813 and 815 took place.

This Leyland Panther Cub with Park Royal bodywork originally operated in Manchester, UK as #79. It is seen just after entering service with Grenda’s in ’74 as #118, departing Cheltenham for Dandenong. It was renumbered as #30 in later that year (Bruce Tilley)

ROUTE 826 SOUTHLAND – PARKMORE – DANDENONG – FOUNTAIN GATE – BERWICK – BEACONSFIELD – PAKENHAM

A country route 238, Cheltenham – Dandenong began in August 1933. It was sold from O. Shave to G. Grenda in October 1945, and was later given number 219A. Extended to Southland in 1968, and renumbered 826 in 1971.

On 7/12/1987 826 was extended east from Dandenong to Beaconsfield and Pakenham along Princes Hwy, including through Eumemmering. The extended 826 was supplemented by a westward extension of 839 to Southland, which travelled along a similar route but operated via Box St and Frawley Rd in Doveton (over the former 842).

839 was abolished on 24/10/1988, with all trips on the corridor showing 826. Most trips now ran via Box St and Frawley Rd in Doveton, although some peak period trips continued to travel along Princes Hwy in Eumemmering. At other times passengers could catch Phillip’s 793 (weekdays) or 792 (Saturdays).

ROUTE 827 CHELTENHAM – DANDENONG

With the 1971 renumbering, this number was given to 826 trips terminating at Cheltenham instead of Southland, however the number was abolished from 7/2/1977.

ROUTE 830 DANDENONG – FRANKSTON

Grenda #19 (Bedford VAM70, Comair) of 1970. There were only six of this type in the Grenda fleet and were used almost exclusively on the Frankston area runs when new. (Geoff Foster)

A country route from Frankston to Ferntree Gully was started in October 1932 as route 222 and in April 1936 was sold from Argyll Motors (Sadler) to Woods B.S..

In May 1938, Frankston to Croydon was added, and by 1939 also Frankston – Dandenong – Lysterfield.

In 1943 the operator was Dyson’s Peninsula Motors, but by 1947 was back with Woods and finally sold to Peninsula Bus Lines in July 1950.

A local service from Dandenong was sold from Dandenong Boomerang Bus Service to G. Grenda in July 1951, which was given route number 252A from 4/2/1957. Then in August 1959 the by now Dandenong – Frankston route was sold from Peninsula B.L. to G. Grenda. In August 1962, 252A was given to the through service. Renumbered 830 in 1971.

From 29/9/1986 the 831 service had also been extended to operate to Dandenong, travelling via Pines Estate and Botany Park.

ROUTE 831 DANDENONG – FRANKSTON via Botany Park

Grenda’s #102 (Volvo B58-56, Ansair) departs
Frankston in 1985 (Peter Kane)

A local service from Frankston to Gardenia Cres, Pines Estate was started by Grenda’s in the mid 1960’s, and in the 1971 renumbering was allocated 831.

A rationalisation of local routes through the Pines Estate saw it extended to Dandenong on 29/9/1986, deviating off Frankston-Dandenong Rd to serve the Botany Park Estate in Carrum Downs.

ROUTE 832 FRANKSTON – SOUTH PINES

Another local service started in the 1960’s by Grenda’s was Frankston – Hoya Cres, Pines Estate. Known as 832 in the 1971 renumbering, it was altered to run via Kananook from 29/9/1986, and was terminated at South Pines.

ROUTE 838 DANDENONG – BERWICK – BEACONSFIELD – PAKENHAM

This route began at an unknown date but was sold from O. Shave to G. Grenda in October 1945, when it only ran to Berwick. It was extended to Nar Nar Goon in March 1948 and in August 1949 went to Bunyip.

In the 1971 numbering it was given 838 by which time it only went to Pakenham and then only a couple of trips per day. It was absorbed by the 839 on 7/2/1977.

ROUTE 839 SOUTHLAND – PARKMORE – DANDENONG – BEACONSFIELD

Grenda’s once had some very interesting second-hand buses. #38 (Leyland Panther, Metro Cammell) passes through Berwick on 3/11/1978. Its English heritage is obvious, ex Manchester #38 (Jack Wayman)

In the 1971 renumbering, 839 was given to the regular Dandenong – Beaconsfield service of Grenda’s (see 838). On 7/2/1977, it was extended to Pakenham, absorbing the one remaining trip of 838.

A major change occurred on 7/12/1987, when it became Southland – Parkmore – Dandenong – Fountain Gate – Berwick – Becaonsfield, interworking with the expanded 826. 839 trips now operated via Box St and Frawley Rd in Doveton (over the former 842), with the 826 travelling along Princes Hwy through Eumemmering. The extended 826 was supplemented by a westward extension of 839 to Southland, which travelled along a similar route but operated

839 was abolished on 24/10/1988, with all trips on the corridor showing 826. Most trips now ran via Box St and Frawley Rd in Doveton, although some peak period trips continued to travel along Princes Hwy in Eumemmering. At other times passengers could catch Phillip’s 793 (weekdays) or 792 (Saturdays).

ROUTE 840 CRANBOURNE – FOUNTAIN GATE – BERWICK – BRENTWOOD – BERWICK EAST

A new service was commenced by Berwick Bus Lines on 25/2/1985 as Fountain Gate Shopping Centre – Beaconsfield.

A major change took place on 2/8/1987 when it became Cranbourne – Berwick with three separate extensions on most trips to Fountain Gate Shopping Centre, Brentwood Estate (Bemersyde Dr) and Berwick East (Brisbane St).

ROUTE 841 (1ST) DANDENONG – NARRE WARREN NORTH

In the 1971 renumbering, this was allocated to a couple of trips per day service of Grenda’s B.S. Ceased on 7/2/1977.

ROUTE 841 (2ND) NARRE WARREN NORTH – FOUNTAIN GATE – WARRENWOOD

A new route opened 24/8/1987 by Berwick Bus Lines to serve the growing estates in Narre Warren North and Warrenwood.

ROUTE 842 DANDENONG – DOVETON – HALLAM

Commenced on 7/2/1977 by Grenda’s B.S. to serve new housing springing up at the time in East Doveton along around Frawley Rd.

842 closed on 5/12/1987, with 839 rerouted along Box St and Frawley Rd in Doveton two days later as part of an extended Southland – Dandenong – Beaconsfield route. In turn, Princes Hwy Eumemmering, previously served by 839, became served by the extended 826 Southland – Dandenong – Pakenham service along with Phillips’ 793 (weekdays) or 792 (Saturdays).

826 and 839 were later amalgamated into a single 826 service from 24/10/1988, with most trips travelling along Box St and Frawley Rd, although some peak trips continued to operate via Princes Hwy Eumemmering.

ROUTE 843 DANDENONG – MOSSGIEL PARK (SHETLAND ST)

Commenced 7/2/1977 by Grenda’s Bus Service. In 1983 the service terminated at Power Rd and Essex Park Dr, later continuing along Kennington Park Dr and Shetland St to a terminus at Ben Cl.

The deviation along Ross St in Dandenong North was incorporated into the new 862 Dandenong – Chadstone service from 7/12/1987.

ROUTE 844 DANDENONG – DOVETON via Box St

A route from Dandenong to East Dandenong was operating in 1946 by Sherry Bros. They formed Dandenong Boomerang Bus Lines in 1949 and sold to George Grenda in July 1951. The route was extended to Doveton around 1956 and allocated route No. 254A on 4/2/1957. Renumbered 844 in 1971.

ROUTE 845 DANDENONG – ENDEAVOUR HILLS (CHANTELL AVE)

Commenced by Grenda’s in 1963 as 267A Dandenong – Doveton via East Dandenong with an extension to Liquidamber St in October 1965. It was renumbered 845 in 1971 and was extended to Endeavour Hills on 7/2/1977, being further extended as the suburb developed. In 1983 the terminus was at John Fawkner Dr & James Cook Dr, but later services continued onto Chantell Ave & Hanna Dr.

The deviation along Ross St in Dandenong North was incorporated into the new 862 Dandenong – Chadstone service from 7/12/1987.

ROUTE 846 DANDENONG – LYNDALE via Cleeland St

A town service from Dandenong to Cleeland St was sold from Dandenong Boomerang Bus Lines to George Grenda in July 1951, having commenced at an unknown date. It was allocated route No. 255A on 4/2/57 by when it had been extended to Oswald Street. It was further extended to Lyndale in August 1962 and renumbered 846 in 1971. Ceased 21/1/1980 when it was replaced by the new 802.

ROUTE 847 DANDENONG – LYNDALE via James St

Opened on 4/2/1057 as 253A by Grenda’s Bus Service and extended to Hatton Rd on 4/11/1963. It was further extended to Glen Waverley in December 1970 and in 1971 remumbering, the short workings to Lyndale were allocated 847. Use of the number with withdrawn, along with most of the short workings on 21/1/1980.

Full length trips on 253A became 855 in 1971 and soon after 850. (See below)

ROUTE 848 DANDENONG – BRANDON PARK

Started by Grenda’s in 1963 as 268A Dandenong – Oakwood Park. It was renumbered 848 in 1971. The route was extended to North Dandenong on 7/2/1977, and then onto Brandon Park via Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre and Valewood on 7/12/1987 to cater for shoppers and school students. Services were off-set with 821 Dandenong – Springvale.

ROUTE 849 (1ST) DANDENONG – PARKMORE ESTATE, KEYSBOROUGH

Opened 4/2/1957 by Grenda’s as 265A Dandenong – Chandler Rd, Noble Park. In 1964 it was extended to the Parkmore estate in Keysborough and renumbered 849 in 1971. The route was abolished on 16/4/1973 when replaced by 812, 813 and 815.

ROUTE 849 (2ND) DANDENONG – MOSSGIEL PARK (GLENEAGLES DR)

Grenda’s #21 (Bedford VAM70, Domino Hedges) on Route 849 in Dandenong during 1985 (Peter Kane)

Commenced 21/1/80 as a sister route to 843 and 845, serving the northern parts of Endeavour Hills and Mossgiel Park. Initially terminating at Lachlan Dr and Heathmere Cres, the service later extended along Gleneagles Dr to terminate at Skipton Cl.

The deviation along Ross St in Dandenong North was incorporated into the new 862 Dandenong – Chadstone service from 7/12/1987.

ROUTE 850 DANDENONG – GLEN WAVERLEY

Renumbered November 1971 ex 855 (see below). Also see 847.

ROUTE 855 (1ST) DANDENONG – GLEN WAVERLEY

in the 1971 renumbering, this number was given to the through trips of the former 253A (see under 847). It was then renumbered 850 in November 1971.

ROUTE 855 (2ND) DANDENONG – MELBOURNE AIRPORT

Commenced in 1986 by Airporter Bus Service, and given the number 855 in 1987.

ROUTE 857 DANDENONG – PATTERSON LAKES – CHELSEA

Commenced as Dandenong – Mordialloc, and was sold from O. Shave to G. Grenda in October 1945 and altered to run to Chelsea from October 1947. Allocated 857 in 1971 (as a Tuesday market day service operating via Bangholme and Chelsea Heights).

It began operating as a more regular service from 7/12/1987 and was deviated via Patterson Lakes, Carrum and Bonbeach, absorbing the 862. Select trips operated locally Chelsea – Carrum – Patterson Lakes. The spur along Gladesville Bvd to Legana Ct in Patterson Lakes was supplemented by Quinces’ 708 from 19/12/1988.

ROUTE 860 CHELSEA – EDITHVALE

Started November 1948 by Chelsea Bus Service (North) and sold to Woods Bus Service in March 1952, who extended it to Frankston. It was sold to Peninsula Bus Lines in August 1957, then to H. Glenny on 13/10/1958 and cut back to Chelsea – Edithvale. It was again sold to Grenda’s Bus Service in June 1965 and allocated 860 in 1971. Ceased 5/12/1987 when absorbed by 888.

ROUTE 861 (1ST) CHELSEA – CHELSEA HEIGHTS – PATTERSON LAKES

In December 1948, Chelsea Bus Service (North) were operating Chelsea – Chelsea Hospital and Chelsea – Argyle Ave. These were sold to Wood’s Bus Service in March 1952, and in 1953 is shown as Chelsea – Clydebank Rd Edithvale and Chelsea – Bondi Rd Bonbeach. Sold to Peninsula Bus Lines in August 1957, then to H. Glenny on 13/10/58 and to Grenda’s B.S. in June 1965.

Given number 861 in 1971 and extended to Patterson Lakes on selected trips from 8/8/1977. it ceased on 5/12/1987 and was absorbed by 889.

ROUTE 861 (2ND) DANDENONG – ENDEAVOUR HILLS (HENSLEY CT)

Opened 7/12/1987 by Grenda’s Bus Service as the fourth service for the rapidly expanding suburb of Endeavour Hills, operating as a sister route to 843, 845 & 849 along Clow St and Kidds Rd in Doveton. Buses terminate at the eastern edge of the suburb on Conran Ave and Hensley Ct.

ROUTE 862 (1ST) CHELSEA – SOUTH CARRUM – PATTERSON LAKES

Originally began in January 1929 as country route 136 Chelsea – Carrum. It ceased and was reopened in September 1936 by Chelsea Bus Service (North). It closed again 1942, but reopened by Chelsea Bus Service in September 1946 as Chelsea – Seaford, and was extended in the other direction to Edithvale in November 1948. It was sold to Woods Bus service in March 1952 and extended to Frankston. Sold to Peninsula Bus Lines in August 1957, then to H. Glenny on 13/10/1958 at which time the service ceased.

Reopened in May 1959 as Chelsea – Carrum, then extended to Eel Race Rd in August 1963, and sold to Grenda’s Bus Service in June 1965. Allocated 862 in 1971, it was extended to the new waterfront suburb of Patterson Lakes on 8/8/1977 but ceased on 5/12/1987 when absorbed by a revised and upgraded 857.

ROUTE 862 (2ND) CHADSTONE – MULGRAVE – DANDENONG via Waverley Gardens and Dandenong North

Started by Grenda’s Bus Service on 7/12/1987 as a sister route to 802 & 804, following an alternate path via Waverley Gardens Shopping Centre and along Outlook Dr, Stud Rd and Ross St in Dandenong North.

Ventura #142 (Elwood HFA-GM, PMCSA), ex Hawthorn B.S., has just arrived into Glen Waverley on the split 888 service in 1988. (Peter Kane)

ROUTE 888 NUNAWADING – GLEN WAVERLEY – SPRINGVALE – CHELSEA via Edithvale

Commenced 23/3/1981 as a split service: Nunawading – Glen Waverley (Willis B.S. and Ventura B.L.) and Glen Waverley – Edithvale (Grenda’s) with timetabled connections at Glen Waverley. The route provided the first north-south route along most of the length of Springvale Rd – previously the same trip required up to four separate buses (Route 765 to Parkmore Rd, Route 702 to Glen Waverley, Route 818 to Springvale then Route 811 to Cheltenham Rd) with no direct connection existing south of Keysborough to the Frankston Line. The 888 absorbed the 818 while the other 3 parallel services continued to operate.

On 1/7/1987, Willis share was sold to Hawthorn B.S. who then sold out to Ventura on 21/12/1987. On 7/12/1987, the southern portion was extended to Chelsea over 860 with alternate trips deviating to Chelsea Heights as 889, incorporating the former 861. Quinces’ Route 705 (Springvale – Mordialloc) also paralleled Routes 888 & 889 between Springvale and Rowans Rd, Springvale South from 18/7/1988.

ROUTE 889 NUNAWADING – GLEN WAVERLEY – SPRINGVALE – CHELSEA via Chelsea Heights

From 7/12/1987, trips on 888 that travelled via Chelsea Heights were given this number, incorporating the local 861 Chelsea – Chelsea Heights service.

889 south of Glen Waverley was operated by Grenda’s. The connecting Glen Waverley – Nunawading trips were very briefly shared between Hawthorn B.S. and Ventura, before Hawthorn B.S. sold to Ventura a fortnight later on 21/12/1987.

ROUTE 903 BROADMEADOWS – COOLAROO

Commenced on 17/12/1973 by Northern Bus Lines as a co-ordinated service for Victorian Railways, foreshadowing a planned extension of electric trains to the then new suburb of Coolaroo. The route was split at the northern end on 19/5/1980 to operate to either Taggerty Cres or Longford Cres. Withdrawn on 12/10/1987, and replaced by 541.