Complied by Graeme Cleak
Updated by Craig Halsall and Tony Willman
The early history of Motor Omnibus Routes in Melbourne is somewhat cloudy, but it appears that Returned Servicemen from World War I (1914 – 1918), who had gained knowledge of ‘heavy’ motor vehicles, seized upon the opportunity to develop this new form of public transport. As there was no provision in the then legislation for motorbuses, promoters merely ran where and where they wished, often in competition with the cable and electric tramway systems.
The Motor Omnibus Act 1924 was to regulate this form of transport, with licensing covering vehicles seating eight or more pasengers. Routes that passed within a radius of three miles of the Melbourne GPO were numbered in a series beginning at No. 1. Routes outside this radius, but within 8 miles of the Melbourne GPO, started at 1A. On 28/1/1925 Routes 1 to 13 and 1A to 36A came into being.
Responsibility for the administration was placed with the Melbourne City Council and the Public Works Dept. through the “Motor Omnibus Advisory Committee.” The MOAC particularly set the levels for service and determined the routes to be followed.
In March 1928 licensing of Country Routes began, this incorporated the growing number of services beyond an eight mile radius of Melbourne. The Transport Regulation Board (TRB) was created in 1933 and took responsibility for these Country Services.
The role of TRB was widened from 1/7/1953 to take over the Metropolitan Routes, then later during the mid 1950s, Outer Suburban Routes were replaced into a further series beginning at 200A.
A complete renumbering of Metropolitan Bus Routes occurred in 1971, initially based on geographical considerations:
- 200 to 299: Government Bus Routes in Melbourne’s inner west and north-east
- 300 to 399: Government Bus Routes in Melbourne’s outer east
- 400 to 499: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s west and north-west
- 500 to 599: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s north and north-east
- 600 to 699: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s east and south-east bayside suburbs
- 700 to 799: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s east and outer south-east bayside suburbs
- 800 to 899: Private Bus Routes in Melbourne’s south-east
- 900 to 903: Victorian Railways Bus Routes
Routes across the east and south-east were somewhat divided up by operator (e.g. 700-series for Ventura & 800-series for Grenda’s) – at several major hubs including Chadstone Shopping Centre, Oakleigh, Box Hill, Glen Waverley, Knox City, Mentone and Frankston it was common for route numbers across two or three different series to meet.
On 1/7/1983 all control of Metropolitan Routes passed to the Metropolitan Transit Authority (Tram and Bus division) with vehicle licensing being performed by the Road Traffic Authority.
Then on 1/7/1989 the Public Transport Corporation was formed with the merger of the Metropolitan Transit Authority and State Transit Authority.
The below list documents the route numbers in use from 1971 to 1990, with reference to their history as far back as 1925 under the former route number systems. During 1991 the ALP state government, led by Joan Kirner, undertook a program of widespread rationalisation of the bus network, including the renumbering and through-routing of numerous services across the south-eastern suburbs.
Over time the society intends to present more detailed route summaries for each route from 1971 onwards in a dedicated section of our virtual museum, continuing the story with the countless changes over the past 25 years, from the 1991 cuts onwards. Unlike the abridged versions below, we plan to explore the evolution of service levels where such information is available.
We have already begun this enormous task, initially publishing route histories for 25 routes across Melbourne.
You should find the Melbourne Metropolitan Public Transport Maps from our archives are a great resource to help work out the paths taken by the routes below.
ROUTE 700 BOX HILL – CHADSTONE – MORDIALLOC
Commenced running in 1930 as country route 189 Box Hill to Mentone and in 6/1935 was being run by Ventura Motors as East Doncaster – Mentone with a branch to Cheltenham. However it soon reverted to Box Hill – Mentone.
After the war it was extended to Mordilalloc, then to Aspendale. Then on 1/3/1951, the Mordialloc – Aspendale section became a separate route (see 706) and the Warrigal Road service became 208A.
With the opening of Chadstone Centre in 10/1960, a local service began as Burwood – Chadstone – Old Dandenong Rd, but was discontinued in 9/1966 when the main service was routed via Chadstone. Allocated route 700 in 1971.
A Mordialloc – Mentone – Southland shoppers route also ran from 1972 to 1976, see Route 705 (1st).
ROUTE 701 BURWOOD – MENTONE
In the 1971 renumbering, peak hour shortworkings on the Ventura’s trunk 700 Box Hill – Mordialloc were given route 701.
ROUTE 702 BOX HILL – GLEN WAVERLEY – OAKLEIGH – CHADSTONE
Began in March 1925 as route 39A Oakleigh – Glen Waverley P.O. and Wheelers Hill. In 1947 the operator was H. Trotter who had extended out to Scoresby since 1946 and onto Boronia in November 1948, but the extensions were short-lived. In September 1952 Davies BS took over and tired the Scoresby extension once again, only to be cut back to Wheelers Hill in December 1953.
A rationalisation of routes in this area took place in March 1955, and 39A then became Oakleigh – Glen Waverley, run by Clarinda Transport (Trotter). In May 1958 Ventura took over but kept the Clarinda Transport title, and opened a branch to Syndal, which later became 259A.
The Wheelers Hill service had resumed by 1960, and in March 1965 the section Glen Waverley – Forest Hill – Box Hill was added, which absorbed 224A of Ventura (Box Hill – Forest Hill). 2 months later the Ferntree Gully Rd section was duplicated by U.S. B.L.’s new Belgrave to Chadstone connection – see notes under 691 and 693. In April 1967 the 39A was also extended to Chadstone.
Renumbered 702 in 1971. The term Clarinda Transport is no longer in use. The service to Wheelers Hill had been altered to run from Glen Waverley around 1970. (see 743).
On 23/3/1981 888 was introduced along Springvale Rd between Nunawading and Edithvale, running parallel to 702 over a significant distance from Canterbury Rd, Forest Hill to Brandon Park Shopping Centre, and later (7/12/1987) it was joined by the 889 variant via Chelsea Heights. Full history and operator details under 888 and 889.
ROUTE 703 BLACKBURN – CLAYTON
A service from Oakleigh to Syndal via Ferntree Gully Road began 5/58 by Clarinda Transport (Ventura) as a branch off the 39A, and at the same time they commenced 264A Blackburn – Syndal.
The service was through-routed in 1959 as 259A as Oakleigh – Syndal………………..22/2/82. (Text incomplete from notes)
ROUTE 704 OAKLEIGH – EAST CLAYTON
Kerris Luxury Travel commenced an Oakleigh – Clayton service in June 1952 which linked his existing North and South Clayton Town Services. It was given No. 202A and in September 1954 some rationalisation in the area saw the route altered to 103A, with the service running Oakleigh – Clayton then splitting to North Clayton and East Clayton and transferred to Clarinda Transport (Trotter & Kerr).
Ventura Motors took over in May 1958, and in January 1966 the North Clayton part was absorbed by Ventura’s 265A (Box Hill – Mt Waverley – Clayton – Oakleigh). Renumbered 704 in 1971.
A further local service using this number was Clayton – Browns Rd started in 5/1972. The main service extended to Chadstone on 23/10/1972, then the Browns Rd service was given number 707 on 18/8/1975. The Oakleigh – Chadstone section was deleted 1/3/1976.
ROUTE 705 (1ST) SOUTHLAND – CHELTENHAM EAST – MENTONE – MORDIALLOC via Beach Rd
Started in 1972 by Ventura Motors, it ceased on 1/3/1976. It provided service east of Warrigal Rd in Cheltenham East as well as offering a direct Southland connection along the southern end of the 700 trunk route along Beach Rd. The timetable was integrated with the 706 service to Chelsea.
ROUTE 705 (2ND) MORDIALLOC – SPRINGVALE
Peak service commenced by Quinces on 18/7/1988 to serve the newly developed industrial precincts across Braeside as well as connecting Dingley Village to both Springvale and Mordialloc.
ROUTE 706 MORDIALLOC – CHELSEA
A Mr Pryor Began a run from Mentone – Aspendale in August 1936, which for a time extended to Edithvale. By 1942 it had been cut back to Aspendale, and was sold to Ventura Motors in April 1943. Later it was added to Ventura’s Box Hill – Mentone route.
On 1/3/1951 it re-emerged as a separate route Mordialloc – Chelsea of Beach Transport (a part of Ventura anyway) and was renumbered 200A in July 1954. Renumbered 706 in 1971.
From 1972 to 1976, there was integration with Ventura’s Route 705 Mordialloc – Southland via Mentone Park service, and later a through fare was available from Chelsea to Southland utilising Blue & Silver’s Route 204A service, later Route 649.
ROUTE 707 CLAYTON – BROWNS RD, CLAYTON NORTH
This number was allocated on 18/8/75 to this short Ventura run which had been part of 704. It ceased in 1989.
ROUTE 708 MORDIALLOC – CARRUM
Quinces started this route on 19/12/1988. It travelled along the Wells Rd corridor serving the then developing inland suburbs of Aspendale Gardens, Chelsea Heights and Patterson Lakes.
ROUTE 731 CAMBERWELL – NORTH BALWYN
Began June 1932 as 78A Canterbury – North Balwyn – East Kew, and was operated in 1935 by Mr Watson. Extended to Camberwell in 5/1940. By 1949 it was run by L. Hone, and was sold to R. Curren in June 1956.
Ventura took over in 4/1968, deleted the East Kew section, and extended along Balwyn Road north of the North Balwyn Tram Terminus. Renumbered 731 in 1971.
ROUTE 732 BOX HILL – KNOX CITY – UPPER FERNTREE GULLY
It has been recorded that in May 1944 Knibbs B.S. extended their Box Hill – East Burwood service to Ferntree Gully. On 7/6/1954 it was cut back to East Burwood and soon after on 23/6/1954 Knibbs sold to Ventura Motors. Route numbers allocated at this time were 225A Box Hill – Ferntree Gully and 226A Box Hill – Tally Ho – Burwood Tram Terminus (it is unclear if this meant Ferntree Gully was restored).
Anyway, the Ferntree Gully section was cut back to Wantirna South in 1969, and the Box Hill – Tally Ho (East Burwood) – Burwood was renumbered 732 in 1971. The South Wantirna trips became the 735 (see under that number), which later extended to Ferntree Gully on 30/8/1971 and to Upper Ferntree Gully on 3/10/1977.
In March 1980 the East Burwood – Burwood section, via Sevenoaks Rd and Highbury Rd, became part of 736, and 732 became a full time service Box Hill – Knox City – Upper Ferntree Gully along Middleborough Rd, Eley Rd, Station St and Burwood Hwy. This incarnation of 732 was supplemented with occasional 735 Box Hill – Ferntree Gully trips serving Fullton Rd in South Blackburn until 10/8/1987 when 735 was truncated to travel Box Hill – South Blackburn on a more frequent timetable.
ROUTE 733 BOX HILL – MT WAVERLEY – CLAYTON – OAKLEIGH
A country route from Oakleigh to Clarinda was running in 7/1933. The next development was in 5/1941 when 103A commenced East Malvern Tram Terminus – Oakleigh – South Oakleigh, which was run via Golf Links Road to North Road. Then in 12/1946 Cheeseman and Kerr began a route from Mordailloc to North Clayton.
In 12/1950 the 103A was further extended to Moorabbin via South Road, at this time operated by Quince. Trotter took over 19/9/1952 and deleted the East Malvern – Oakleigh section. Meanwhile, Kerr cut back his run to be South Clayton to North Clayton in 3/1952.
The 103A was cut back to be Oakleigh – South Oakleigh in 6/1954, then extended to Clarinda in 8/1954. In 9/1954 Trotter and Kerr formed Clarinda Transport, and by absorbing the 202A formed 103A Oakleigh – Clayton – North and East Clayton (some trips by Clarinda).
Sold to Ventura in May 1958 (who retained Clarinda Transport name for some years). At the other end, Ventura started 265A Box Hill – Mt Waverley in February 1961, which extended to Monash University in August 1964, Clayton in 1965 and finally absorbed the North Clayton and Clarinda part of 103A in January 1966 to form Box Hill – Mt Waverley – Clayton – Clarinda – Oakleigh.
In 1971 it was renumbered 733 and extended to Chadstone in March 1976, but reverted to Oakleigh on 5/6/1987.
ROUTE 734 GLEN IRIS – GLEN WAVERLEY
An original route of 1/25 was 26A Glen Iris – Ashburton. From 1/37 it extended to Hartwell, but the extension ceased in October 1946. Further extensions along High St and High Street Rd followed: Warrigal Rd in December 1947, Cleveland Rd in November 1950, Bayview Rd during 1952 (by this time the operator was S. Jenkin), to Blackburn Rd in December 1957 and Springvale Rd in June 1959. R. Carter took over in 1960 and implemented the final extension to Glen Waverley Station in 9/1961.
A deviation via Chadstone was tried from November 1963, and Ventura Motors took over on 3/9/1964. Renumbered 734 in 1971.
ROUTE 735 BOX HILL – SOUTH BLACKBURN
As shown for notes for 732, the 1971 renumbering saw 735 given to the trips from Box Hill – South Wantirna of Ventura Motors 225A. Again extended to Ferntree Gully 30/8/1971 and to Upper Ferntree Gully on 3/10/1977.
When the 732 was extended to Upper Ferntree Gully on 3/3/1980, a couple of trips still operated as 735 Box Hill – Knox City – Ferntree Gully, running via Fulton Rd in South Blackburn.
A more regular hourly 735 timetable commenced on 10/8/1987, with buses still traveling via Fulton Rd in South Blackburn, but now terminating at East Burwood K-Mart (Burwood Hwy & Blackburn Rd).
ROUTE 736 BLACKBURN – FOREST HILL – EAST BURWOOD – BURWOOD (WARRIGAL RD)
A service being operated in 1936 as Box Hill – Dandenong by G. Watson. In 1940 it was passed to H. Knibb. He sold the Glen Waverley – Dandenong portion to G. Bridges in 1951. The Box Hill – Glen Waverley section was renumbered 227A in June 1954 and sold to Ventura, but ceased at an unknown date.
Meanwhile, a run from Box Hill – Blackburn via Canterbury Rd has started in January 1938. It was extended to North Blackburn and Nunawading in September 1946 and a branch from Blackburn to Forest Hill commenced in 1948. The Box Hill – Blackburn – Forest Hill service was sold to D. Bakely in 1952 then to W. Hart in August 1953, then to Withers (Box Hill B.L.) in August 1956 and to Ventura Motors on 11/2/1957. It had been given number 224A.
Knibb was also operating from Burwood Tram Terminus (Warrigal Rd) to East Burwood in 1940. It was linked with his Box Hill – East Burwood service on 7/6/1954, and sold to Ventura Motors on 23/6/1954, the service being given 226A, running Box Hill – Tally Ho (East Burwood) – Burwood Tram Terminus (Warrgal Rd).
Late in 1963 Ventura began 269A Blackburn – East Burwood, and the 224A was absorbed in March 1965 by the extension of 39A from Glen Waverley to Box Hill (see 702 notes).
269A was extended from East Burwood to Bayswater via Burwood and Mountain Hwys in 1969 and in 1971 renumbered 736. It was further extended to Boronia on 30/8/1971 (although only one trip per day ran from end to end!) which absorbed Ventura’s 746.
Anyhow, the 736 was cut back on 16/2/1976 to be Blackburn – South Vermont, only to be extended via the Burwood Hwy to Ferntree Gully on 3/11/1977. Ventura’s new 748 route Wantirna – Dorest Rd, Boronia, introduced 18 months earlier on 16/9/1974, continued to serve Mountain Hwy.
Changes from March 1980 saw 736 run as Blackburn – Forest Hill – East Burwood – Burwood (Warrigal Rd), swapping part of the old 732 along Sevenoaks Rd and Highbury Rd. The eastern half of 736 was replaced by a rejuvenated 732 operating Box Hill – Upper Ferntree Gully, supplemented by occasional 735 services travelling via South Blackburn.
ROUTE 737 GLEN WAVERLEY – KNOX CITY – BORONIA – THE BASIN
A service from Boronia to the Basin was running in 1947, by Campbells Basin B.S.. It was sold to Basin B.S. on 21/2/1949, then Wilson’s Basin B.S. on 13/9/1951. Boronia B.L. took over on 2/11/1962, followed by Ventura B.L. on 3/9/1970. That year the The Basin – Boronia service was extended through to Eastland, and in 1971 given the number 745.
Meanwhile, Ventura had started 274A from Glen Waverley to Bayswater from 15/9/1969 (maybe earlier), and in 1971 it was renumbered 737, and on 30/8/1971 altered to run to Boronia, incorporating part of 752 (Boronia – Stud Rd – Ferntree Gully).
On 8/11/1977, the 745 mentioned above (Eastland – Boronia – The Basin) was withdrawn, and the part from Boronia to The Basin added to the 737 to form the existing service.
ROUTE 738 MITCHAM – KNOX CITY
A short run from Mitcham to Rooks Rd was started 8/1954 by C. Young. It was part of route 207A, and was sold to Ventura on 28/8/1969 as Mitcham – Alwyn St. Renumbered 738 in 1971, and was extended to Knox City on 29/10/1984.
ROUTE 739 (1ST) MITCHAM – VERMONT – EASTLAND
Around 1966, C. Young introduced a service from Mitcham to Eastland via Vermont, as part of his 207A. Sold to Ventura on 29/8/1969, it was renumbered 739 in 1971. It ceased in 4/1975 when the 742 was rationalised.
ROUTE 739 (2ND) FOREST HILL – HEATHMONT
A shoppers service, started 29/10/1984 by Ventura.
ROUTE 740 MITCHAM – VERMONT EAST
Commenced by C. Young in 10/1957 as part of 207A. Sold to Ventura on 28/8/1969 and renumbered in 1971 as 740.
ROUTE 741 MITCHAM – HEATHERDALE
Started by Ventura when a slight re-routing of the Mitcham – Vermont East service took place, it all being part of 207A. Renumbered 741 in 1971, then closed 30/10/1971.
ROUTE 742 EASTLAND – GLEN WAVERLEY
Began as Heatherdale – Vermont East in 1960 by Young as part of 207A. Sold to Ventura on 28/8/1969, and renumbered 742 in 1971. It was extended to Eastland in 4/1975. Extended to Glen Waverley in 23/3/1981, incorporating 746.
ROUTE 743 GLEN WAVERLEY – WHEELERS HILL
This route began around 1970, when the Oakleigh – Wheelers Hill part of 39A, operated by Ventura Motors, was instead altered to run from Glen Waverley. It was renumbered 743 in 1971 and closed on 27/8/1973, and was replaced by an eastward extension of 753.
ROUTE 744 GLEN IRIS – ASHBURTON – ALAMEIN – HOLMESGLEN
A branch of 26A was started in 5/1960 by S. Jenkin as Glen Iris – Victory Bvd, Alamein. Sold to Reg Carter later in 1960, it was extended to Holmesglen Station and was passed to Ventura Motors on 3/9/1964. Renumbered 744 in 1971. Service was restricted to school journeys in the 1980s, with only two trips per day.
ROUTE 745 (1ST) EASTLAND – BORONIA – THE BASIN
A service from Boronia to The Basin commenced at an unknown date and by 1947 was operated by E. Campbell’s Basin Bus Service, passing to Basin Bus Service on 21/1/1949, then to Wilson’s Basin Bus Service on 13/9/1951. Boronia Bus Lines took over on 2/11/1962, before selling to Ventura Motors on 7/9/1970 with route number 745 being allocated in 1971. The route was soon extended to Studfield, then to Eastland on 30/8/1971.
Rationalisation of services on 8/11/1977 saw the route replaced by the 737, and the Studfield – Eastland portion discontinued.
ROUTE 745 (2ND) KNOX CITY – BAYSWATER
tarted by Ventura Motors on 11/12/1978 from Knox City – Boronia – Bayswater, it was altered to operate as Knox City – Bayswater from 23/4/1979. Only a couple of school and shopping trips are provided.
ROUTE 746 (1ST) BAYSWATER – BORONIA
Started by Boronia Bus Lines during the 1960s and sold to Ventura Motors on 7/9/1970 and allocated route number 746 in 1971. Closed 30/8/1971, and replaced by 736.
ROUTE 746 (2ND) GLEN WAVERLEY – CAMELOT DR, GLEN WAVERLEY
Commenced by Ventura Motors 24/9/1973. It closed 20/3/1981, being absorbed into the extended 742 Glen Waverley – Eastland.
ROUTE 747 BAYSWATER – STUDFIELD
Ventura Motors started this route in 1973, but it ceased on 8/11/1977 when routes in the area were rationalised. A variation of the 753 then operated over part of the route until the introduction of 754 to Jells Park in 1984.
ROUTE 748 (1ST) BAYSWATER – KNOXFIELD
A service was started in the 1950s by Wilson’s Basin Bus Service as Bayswater – Scoresby, and passed to Boronia Bus Lines on 2/11/1962. By 1970 it was running as Bayswater – Knoxfield, and passed to Ventura Motors on 3/9/1970. It was given route number 748 in 1971, but ceased 27/8/1973 when route 753 was rationalised.
ROUTE 748 (2ND) DORSET RD, BORONIA – BAYSWATER – WANTIRNA
Commenced 16/9/1974 by Ventura Motors, largely providing a limited peak hour service along Mountain Hwy. It initially appears to have duplicated their 736 Blackburn – East Burwood – Wantirna – Boronia service but on 16/2/1976 the 736 was cut back to be Blackburn – South Vermont.
ROUTE 749 BORONIA – FERNTREE GULLY SOUTH
A service from Boronia to Ferntree Gully via Dorset Rd was started by Wilson’s Basin Bus Service during the early 1950s. Sold to Boronia Bus Lines on 2/11/1962, then Ventura Motors on 3/9/1970.
Numbered 749 in 1971 and extended to Bayswater North, but extension ceased 16/9/1974. This route ceased 26/10/1984, being replaced by the 755 along Dorset Road, and by the 692 between Ferntree Gully and Ferntree Gully South.
ROUTE 750 BORONIA – WANTIRNA SOUTH
Commenced in 1970 by Boronia Bus Lines as Boronia – Ferntree Gully via Underwood Rd. Sold to Ventura on 3/9/1970, and extended to Wantirna South on 30/8/1971. Closed on 25/10/1984, was replaced by the new 692 operated by Croydon B.S t/as Invicta.
ROUTE 751 FERNTREE GULLY – FERNTREE GULLY SOUTH
Commence in 1970 by Boronia Bus Lines as Boronia to Ferntree Gully South via Underwood Road, and sold to Ventura Motors on 3/9/70. The section between Boronia and Ferntree Gully ceased 30/8/1971, and the remaining section closed in 1975, with Ferntree Gully South becoming served by 749 directly from Boronia.
ROUTE 752 BORONIA – FERNTREE GULLY
This was s short-lived service from 1970 of Boronia Bus Lines, operating via Stud Road. Sold to Ventura Motors on 3/9/1970, but ceased on 30/8/1971, being replaced by the 735 and 737.
ROUTE 753 BORONIA – GLEN WAVERLEY
Boronia Bus Lines began a service from Boronia to Knoxfield on 2/7/1970, but sold to Ventura on 3/9/1970. Numbered 753 in 1971, and extended to Scoresby in 1972, and thence through to Glen Waverley on 27/8/1973, incorporating 743.
ROUTE 754 (1ST) BORONIA – GLEN WAVERLEY
This shoppers service began at an unknown date, but was allocated 754 in 1971, operated by Ventura Motors. It was closed in 1974.
ROUTE 754 (2ND) GLEN WAVERLEY – WHEELERS HILL
The Glen Waverley – Jells Park service (747) of Ventura Motors closed in 1977 and then operated as a deviation of the 753 before remerging as 754 in 1981. It was extended to Wheelers Hill on a skeleton timetable on 29/10/1984.
ROUTE 755 CROYDON – BORONIA – MOUNTAIN GATE
A local service from Boronia to Albert Ave by Boronia Bus Lines began in the 1960s and was sold to Ventura Motors on 3/9/1970. Given the number 755 in 1971. During the 1970s it operated as the Boronia Circle, operating a loop via Albert Ave, Mountain Hwy and Dorset Rd. It was extended to Canterbury Gardens on 11/12/1978 and onto Croydon on 2/7/1979.
At the opposite end it went through to Ferntree Gully and Mountain Gate on 29/10/1984, as a one-way loop, replacing part of 749 along Dorset Rd. The direction of the Mountain Gate loop was reversed from anti-clockwise to clockwise in 1988.
ROUTE 756 KNOX CITY – WANTIRNA
A local route from Knox City to Wantirna was started on 8/2/1982 by Ventura as a midibus shoppers service (as were 757/758), marketed under the name “Knox Shuttle Bus”. It was extended to Wantirna South on 29/10/1984.
ROUTE 757 KNOX CITY – SCORESBY
Commenced on 8/2/1982, operated by Ventura Motors using midibuses. Shopper service marketed under the name “Knox Shuttle Bus”
ROUTE 758 KNOX CITY – KNOXFIELD
Commenced on 8/2/1982, operated by Ventura Motors using midibuses. Shopper service marketed under the name “Knox Shuttle Bus”
ROUTE 765 MITCHAM – FOREST HILL – NUNAWADING
Mitcham to Vermont was a very early motor bus service, originating in 1924 and given country route number 30 in 1928. In 1935 it was operated by Mr Brockell with Wills joining as a partner in 1936.
Meanwhile, a service from Tunstall to East Burwood had begun 6/1935 by C. Bird. Tunstall was renamed Nunawading in November 1945, and in 1948 Bird had opened a branch to Stevens Road.
In the 1950s the Mitcham – Vermont service became 206A and the Nunawading – East Burwood service was renumbered 201A. A loop service ran from Nunawading to Rooks Road for a time in 1953, and by 1954 the East Burwood service had been cut back to Forest Hill.
C & B Wills brought out Brockell on the 206A in July 1955, then took over from Bird in 1959. The two routes were then linked up to form 206A Mitcham – Nunawading, and the deviation via Forest Hill Shopping Centre occurred in 1970. Allocated 765 in 1971, and was sold to Hawthorn Bus Service on 1/7/1987, then to Ventura Motors on 21/12/1987.
On 23/3/1981 888 was introduced along Springvale Rd between Nunawading and Edithvale, running parallel to 765 from Nunawading to Parkmore Rd, Forest Hill, and later (7/12/1987) it was joined by the 889 variant via Chelsea Heights. Full history and operator details under 888 and 889.
ROUTE 766 BURWOOD TRAM TERMINUS – BENNETTSWOOD
Rennie’s began this service as a branch of their 67A Box Hill – Burwood service around 1968. It was given the number 766 in 1971, and closed in 1973.
ROUTE 767 BOX HILL – WATTLE PARK – CHADSTONE
Rennie inaugurated a route from Box Hill to Box Hill South in 1928 which was given the route number 67A in December 1929. It extended to Station St and Riversdale Rd in July 1935, with trips going to Wattle Park on weekends. The service went onto Burwood tram terminus in February 1937. Renumbered 767 in 1971.
2½ years after the tram was extended east to Middleborough Rd (on 19/07/1978), the Burwood Hwy section was closed with 767 altered from 2/3/1981 to run from Box Hill to Chadstone along the southern half of 768, which continued operating.
Sold to Hawthorn Bus Service on 1/7/1986, and then to Ventura Motors on 21/12/1987.
ROUTE 768 BOX HILL – BENNETTSWOOD – CHADSTONE
Rennie & Son opened a deviation off their 67A in 1956 as Box Hill – Bennettswood – Burwood Tram. Another branch off this was operated as Box Hill – Jordanville from October 1958, continuing to Waverley Rd from June 1959, before being extended to Chadstone in October 1965.
The journeys via Bennettswood to Burwood tram terminus were replaced by a local service from around 1968 (see 766). The Box Hill – Bennetswood – Chadstone trips were renumbered 768 in 1971.
Following the opening of the tram extension to East Burwood in July 1978, the 767 Box Hill – Wattle Park – Burwood service was altered to run to Chadstone from 2/3/1981, travelling the same route as 768 south of Burwood Hwy to Chadstone.
Both routes were sold to Hawthorn B.S. on 1/7/1986, and then to Ventura Motors on 21/12/1986.
ROUTE 770 FRANKSTON – KARINGAL via Ashleigh Ave
Began in the 1960s by Frankston Passenger Service, it was given the number 770 in 1971.
ROUTE 771 FRANKSTON – KARINGAL via McMahons Rd
A run from Frankston to Wells Road was operated by Woods BS in 1951. It was sold to Frankston P.S. In June 1953. By 1956 the owners of F.P.S. were Bowes and Stockman. By 1963 the route had been varied to run to the new Karingal Housing Estate via Skye Road and was renumbered 771 in 1971.
ROUTE 772 FRANKSTON – ELIZA HEIGHTS – FRANKSTON
A service from Frankston to Overport Rd was being operated in 1955 by Frankston P.S.. It was given the number 772 in 1971 and extended to Eliza Heights on 29/9/1986, operating as an anit-clockwise circular service via Yullie St (outbound) and Foot St (inbound).
ROUTE 773 FRANKSTON – FRANKSTON SOUTH via Kars St
This route commenced in June 1938 by Woods B.S. and was sold to Frankston P.S. in June 1953. Allocated number 773 in 1971.
ROUTE 774 FRANKSTON – DELACOMBE PARK – FRANKSTON
This service was opened by Frankston P.S. In the early 1960s as Frankston – Towerhill Road. Given the number 774 in 1971, and was extended to Delacombe Park on 27/10/1986. Like the longer 772 through Eliza Heights, it operates as an anit-clockwise circular service via Yullie St (outbound) and Foot St (inbound).
ROUTE 775 FRANKSTON – LAKEWOOD ESTATE
A route from Frankston to Hastings Rd was started by Woods B.S. in February 1941 and was sold to Frankston P.S. in June 1953. By the early 1960s it was operated as Frankston – Heatherhill Rd and was renumbered 775 in 1971. It was extended through the then developing Lakewood Estate on 19/8/1985.
ROUTE 776 FRANKSTON – BAXTER – PEARCEDALE – FRANKSTON
Started in October 1938 by Woods B.S. and in November 1949 was their Route 2. It w as sold to Frankston P.S. in June 1953, and became 776 in 1971. Trips operate as a loop, clockwise in the morning and anti-clockwise in the afternoon, providing the Baxter township direct access to/from Frankston.
ROUTE 777 FRANKSTON – ORWIL ST, FRANKSTON
Begun in 1974 by Frankston P.S. due to a rerouting of the 771 caused by the construction of the Frankston Fwy. The number was withdrawn on 25/10/1986, with the remanning two shopper trips incorporated into the 771.
ROUTE 779 FRANKSTON – BELVEDERE PARK ESTATE
Started by Peninsula Bus Lines in May 1978 to serve new housing areas.
ROUTE 780 FRANKSTON – CARRUM
A service from Frankston to Seaford via Nepean Hwy had been commenced by Woods B.S. in June 1938, which was their local route 6 by August 1951, along with routes 10 & 11 to Seaford and Wells Rd. These passed to Peninsula Bus Lines at an unknown date, and were also extended to Carrum.
In August 1958, a separate service from Frankston to Austins Rd, Seaford had started. This was extended to Carrum Station in January 1966. By 1970 the Nepean Hwy service had ceased and the inland route was given the number 780 in 1971.
ROUTE 781 FRANKSTON – MORNINGTON – MOUNT MARTHA
First licensed as country Route 12 in April 1928, by 1936 it was operated by Dyson’s Peninsula Motors. At this time a service from Melbourne to Mount Martha was being run by Merrett & Preston, which passed to All Weather Scenic Coaches, then to Dyson’s Motors in 1942. The Melbourne service must have ceased after the war, and a June 1946 timetable shows a separate service between Frankston and Mount Eliza. The Frankston service was sold to Peninsula Bus Lines in July 1950.
All services had been extended to the Balcombe Army Camp during the war, and in 1951 some trips extended to Moorooduc.
By 1963, all Mount Martha / Balcombe trips ran via Mount Eliza. Given the number 781 in 1971. Since 4/7/1983, all trips terminate at Mount Martha.
ROUTE 782 FRANKSTON – HASTINGS – BALNARRING – FLINDERS
In April 1928, Country Route 18 was Frankston to Flinders via Hastings, and Route 19 was via Red Hill. In July 1933, the Flinders route was being operated by Hall’s Moors and in 1936 a through service from Melbourne to Flinders began, operated by Lucas & Hopcroft. The Frankston service was sold to Dyson’s Peninsula Motors in May 1938, then to Peninsula Bus Lines in July 1950. The Melbourne service ceased at an unknown date, and the Frankston service was given number 782 in 1971.
From 5/12/1987 a regular service between Frankston and Balnarring was introduced to supplement and replace the Frankston – Crib Point services which had been substituted for the railmotor service for several years. Weekday daytime services continue beyond Balnarring to Flinders to cater for shoppers and daytrippers.
ROUTE 785 ROSEBUD – FRANKSTON – MELBOURNE AIRPORT
Commenced on 1/12/1986 by Frankston and Peninsula Airport Shuttle, it was briefly given the number 785 in 1987. By 1990 the number was no longer used for this service, and it had reverted to an unnumbered service.
ROUTE 788 FRANKSTON – PORTSEA
This began as Country Route 34 in April 1928, whilst in 1936 it was being operated by Dyson’s Peninsula Motors. At this time there were also services between Melbourne and Rosebud (Whittakers Motors) and Melbourne – Sorrento (Jonhson & Metcher). All services and operators were amalgamated in September 1940 to from Portsea Passenger Service, running from Melbourne to Portsea.
Service was cut back to Frankston after the war, and given route number 788 in 1971. It was sold to Peninsula Bus Lines (Grenda) in February 1983.
ROUTE 791 FRANKSTON – LANGWARRIN – CRANBOURNE
Started by Woods B.S. in April 1937, it was their Route 3 in November 1949. A separate service from Frankston – Cranbourne Road via Beach Street was being operated by Woods as Route 9 in January 1951. The Cranbourne Road service was sold to Frankston P.S. (K & R Bowes) in June 1953, then soon after in August 1953 went to Phillips B.S. along with the Cranbourne route.
By 1963 only the Cranbourne service operated, but with most trips terminating at Karingal or Langwarrin. It was given the number 791 in 1971.
ROUTE 792 DANDENONG – HALLAM – HAMPTON PARK – CRANBOURNE
By 5/1946 was being operated by Woods B.S., which in November 1949 was known as their Route 4 with a separate Route 7 Cranbourne – Devon Meadows. In May 1951 the route 7 trips went through to Dandenong.
Sold to F. Phillips in May 1952. Allocated number 792 in 1971, many trips also served the developing Hampton Park housing estate.
On 7/12/1987 it became a Saturday only route running Dandenong – Hallam – Hampton Park – Cranbourne. On weekdays the route was covered by 793 Dandenong – Hampton Park and 794 Cranbourne – Hallam or Fountain Gate, with the South Gippsland Hwy service in Dandenong South appearing to be suspended. The Cranbourne – Devon Meadows extension became 795 and 796 from the same date.
ROUTE 793 DANDENONG – HALLAM – HAMPTON PARK
Was being operated in July 1949 by G. Grenda but ceased soon after. Later became part of 792, and was started as a separate route on 7/12/1987 by Phillips B.S.. Saturday service provided by 792 Dandenong – Hallam – Hampton Park – Cranbourne, supplemented between Hallam & Hampton Park by 794 (see below).
ROUTE 794 CRANBOURNE – HAMPTON PARK – FOUNTAIN GATE or HALLAM
Commenced on 7/12/1987 by Phillips B.S.. Peak trips travelled Cranbourne to Hallam via Hampton Park, while a limited off-peak shoppers variant ran Cranbourne to Fountain Gate via Hampton Park and Narre Warren. Saturday service provided by 792 Dandenong – Hallam – Hampton Park – Cranbourne.
ROUTE 795 CRANBOURNE – DEVON MEADOWS – WARNEET – TOORADIN
Commenced on 7/12/1987 by Phillips B.S. to provide services to the costal townships of Warnett, Blind Bright, Cannons Creek and Tooradin. Selected trips operate via Devon Meadows.
ROUTE 796 CRANBOURNE – DEVON MEADOWS – CLYDE
Commenced on 7/12/1987 by Phillips B.S. Formerly a part of 792.
ROUTE 797 CRANBOURNE TOWN SERVICE
Commenced on 7/12/1987 by Phillips B.S.