From Graeme Cleak’s route history notes until 1990:
ROUTE 429 YARRAVILLE – ALTONA EAST
This run began on 16/3/1944 as Route 105A, the owner was G. Palmer and it was went as far as Stephenson Ave. Blackshaws Rd was reached in June 1945, whilst by March 1948 it had passed to T. Sherry. In September 1955 Hi-Way Busways took over, possibly still under Sherry. By 1967 T. & P. Middleditch had taken over Hi-Way Busways.
The route became Route 429 in 1971, going to C. Nidis in 1974, then to Sita Bus Lines in 1979. By the 1980s the terminus changed from South Kingsville to Altona East.